Friday, December 1, 2006

My Religion - Part 1


Are you righteous? kind? do you call for religiousness? Does your confidence lie in this? Do you imagine your suffering would be less because you loved goodness? truth? God? Do you love others? Do you care about strangers? Are you loved by all? Weird huh… I’m sure that those (above) got you thinking!
How about, science? Do you value time? past? future? Do you grasp the value of atto (10 to the -18th)? Exa (10 to the 18th)? Are you analytical at all? would you like to travel in time? I would… certainly a good 2000 years back. Einstein theoretically proved it; maybe another Einstein could develop it.
Life on Earth has been traced through man and the primates, mammals, and vertebrates, and backward through ever lower life forms to the point, billions of years ago, at which life is presumed to have begun. But having reached these beginnings and having begun to contemplate the probabilities of life elsewhere in our solar system and beyond, don’t you feel uneasy about life on Earth. If all began through a series of chemical reactions, why does life on Earth has but a single source, and not a large number of other sources? And why does all living matter on Earth contain too little of the chemical elements that abound on Earth, and too much of those that are rare on our planet? Was life, then, imported to Earth from elsewhere?

You see, I grew up having a strong intuition that science and religion were simply incompatible. Maybe because I never received a direct reasonable answer from any of my religion class teachers throughout my school years. I must admit, I was always trying to be sarcastic when I asked things like, "If God is infallible, or whether the apostles were classmates? I do of course believe they existed, I cannot doubt the records. But why? why then? Life on this planet goes back billions of years. All those homo sapiens, the Neanderthals, while they were not taught of kindness I would presume that most probably none of them made it to Heaven? Yes, I did ask my teacher once about that and she answered "criteria was different then!" and told me to stop asking dumb questions and said we'd get into it later (which of course we never did).

No comments: